Fire officials say that two dozen residents of a Fairmount apartment complex evacuated when smoke detectors warned them of a fire.

When firefighters arrived on the scene at Elm Hill Apartments, Fairmount Second Deputy Chief Matt Shults says everyone was out of the complex. There was heavy smoke coming from one apartment at 26 Eagle Lane. The fire, quickly extinguished, started when someone was cooking on a stove. The couple living there initially called 911 to report the fire. The blaze was contained to the kitchen, which was destroyed. No one was hurt, and no other apartments were damaged.