Been dying for some wonderful local strawberries?
Well the time is now for all of you in Onondaga County. The warmth and sun we’ve seen of late have ripened many of the berries sitting in area fields. In fact, they’ve ripened so much that some farms are picking berries this week.
Abbott Farms in Lysander put a post on its Facebook page stating strawberries would be ready for U-pick on June 7.
Emmi Farms in Lysander said they already are picking some early varieties for their stand and for sale at the Regional Market. U-pick will open in earnest June 11 and 12.
Hafner’s in Lysander states on its Facebook page that berries should be ready by mid-June. Hencle’s Berry Patch in Lysander figures about June 10 is the date for its berries while Williams in Cicero and Tre-G in Pompey are looking at about June 15.
Farmers were hoping for some rain to help the berries along and most are probably pleased with what the area saw last week and over the weekend. Some farmers, like those at Hencle’s, stated they were irrigating to be sure the strawberries got enough water.
Sue Smith at Tre-G Farm in Pompey said the berries in the southern part of the county will be a bit later than those in the northern stretches of the county like Lysander and Baldwinsville. She said the higher elevation in the south makes berries take a little longer to ripen – her strawberries hadn’t even started to turn red yet as of June 3.
But she added, consumers should remember that since the southern county farms are a bit behind to start, that means once other farms are out of berries, farms in the south like Tre-G should still have berries for the pickin’.
Check out these Onondaga County farms for the freshest berries you can get:
• Abbott Farms, 3275 Cold Springs Road (Route 370), Lysander; 638-7783. Strawberry farm is across the road from the farm store. U-pick and buy already picked. Open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 to 5 p.m. Sundays. For up-to-date conditions and information, go to Abbott Farms on Facebook. E-mail: email@example.com.
• Emmi Farms, 1482 West Genesee Road, Lysander, just west of B’ville on Route 370. 635-7529 or 635-3982. U-pick and already picked. Open Monday to Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sundays 10 a.m. to 5 p.m..
• Reeves Farms, Route 370, Lysander, west of Baldwinsville; 635-3357. U-pick and already picked. Open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
• Lelakowski’s Pompey Hill Strawberry Farm, Route 20, Pompey Hill. 677-9547. U-pick and some already picked. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays. Call for availability.
• Hencle’s Berry Patch, 7470 Perry Road (off Route 31 west), Lysander; 638-0767. U-pick. Open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Thursday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Call for field conditions; Hencle’s Berry Patch is also on Facebook.
• Navarino Orchard, 3655 Route 20, town of Onondaga (nine miles west of LaFayette and nine miles east of Skaneateles); 673-9181. U-pick and already picked. Open 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday to Friday; 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Call for conditions.
• Hafner’s U-Pick, Route 370 west of Baldwinsville. Look for signs. 638-4033. U-pick only. Hours 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday and Friday. Closed Saturdays.
• Williams Farm, Whiting Road and Route 31, Cicero; 699-3442. Three miles off Route 81 north at the Cicero exit. U-pick and already picked. Open 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Friday; 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. weekends. Call for conditions.
• Tre-G Farms, 8183 Route 20, Pompey Center. 682-9315. U-pick. Open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Fridays; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Call ahead for conditions.
For 25 great, fresh strawberry recipes, go to http://www.food.com/ideas/fresh-strawberry-recipes-6055 or visit http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/healthy-strawberry-recipes for 20 healthy strawberry recipes.
Two photos were taken by Debra J. Groom of berries from Reeves Farm in 2015.