A winter storm watch has been issued for the following counties: Onondaga, Madison, Cayuga, Seneca and Yates counties from 10am Thursday until 1pm on Friday. A winter storm watch means that significant winter weather is possible over widespread areas within the next 48 hours.
If your area has a winter storm watch, here is what you should do:
- Go about your normal activities, but be aware of the possibility of heavier snow during the period mentioned above in the counties outlined.
- Keep an eye on Interactive Doppler and Triple Doppler radars on CNYcentral.com.
- Keep your phone with your CNYcentral mobile app turned on so if warnings are issued you will know.
- Periodically check NBC-3, CBS-5 and CW-6 for updates on the weather and possible issuance of lake effect snow warnings and advisories.
- Know which county you live in, and where you are in relation to other counties, especially if you are travelling.
- If you need to travel, be prepared for very difficult driving conditions.
- Have a winter storm kit ready in your car in case you are stranded.
Travel Smart and Stay Safe.
Photo: Getty Images