Sometimes you gotta get out in the woods! In CNY it seems that that can be a ahrd thing to do, considering both the Adirondacks and the Catskills are a bit out of reach for a quick day trip. Here's a few ways you can get out in the woods cheaply without breaking the bank and while supporting local conservation!
- Baltimore Woods- B Woods is my favorite hiking spot for many reasons, but the first among them being the optimal winter hiking. when the snow first falls, especially after a big storm like we saw with the last polar vortex, you gotta come check this spot out. It was beautiful thick foliage, rolling hills, and several different habitat types to check out. Best of all is their $5 rentals for snowshoes that you can keep all day until they close at 4. That's a GREAT deal for anyone who knows how much rentals can cost. Just check out their visitors center! Located in Marcellus, NY.
- Pratt's Falls- This spot is great for all your waterfall viewing needs! It's nice and tall and after a big freeze the icicles are incredible . Standing at 137 feet it's a wonderful opportunity to just look up and admire. You may have to pay for parking but it's standard at most county parks, and many times is free to park during the off season. Pratt's is located in Pompey.
- Brickyard Falls- This is a tough one because you can't park anywhere near the premises but you can park at a nearby shopping plaza (FOR FREE) and hike about a mile. This falls is incredibly large, something you wouldn't expect to see in CNY! This one is well worth the hike. Located in Manlius so only a quick trip up north if you live in the city.
- Clark's Reservations- Free to park during the off season, this is a great chance to check out some amazing rock formations. Similar to the way Green lakes was created, this rocky cliff trail spans half the circumference of a beautiful little lake far down below. Sometimes even, if you're lucky during the early spring migrations, you can catch some loons bathing in the water. If you have an adventurous side theres even a cave somewhere on the land, but you have to hike through land that's posted so shhhhh you didn't hear it from me. Find someone in the know and (safely) so some spelunking!
- Skaneateles Conservation Area- This place has it all! Lots of nice hiking trails and a 25 foot falls! It's an easy day hike and you can spend the rest of your day checking out the lake and some fun boutiques in town.
check out all these beautiful locations in the videos below!