It's National Donut Day, and a new found 90% of us don't know there's some real history behind it. The Salvation Army started it in 1938 to honor the "Donut Lassies," a group of women who served donuts to soldiers in World War One.
So it's not JUST a marketing gimmick. But yeah . . . it's also that. Here are a few donut deals you can take advantage of today . . .
1. If you buy any drink at Dunkin, you get one donut for free.
2. You can get a free donut at Krispy Kreme just by walking in the door. No purchase necessary.
3. Walmart is giving away over a million free glazed donuts today. Just head to the bakery section at any Walmart Supercenter, or participating Neighborhood Markets.
4. Entenmann's is running a contest through their where you can suggest a new donut flavor. And if they pick yours, you win $5,000, plus free donuts for a year.
5. Cumberland Farms is giving out free donuts if you buy coffee or any fountain drink. But only until 10:00 AM.
6. Hardee's is giving out free Froot Loops Mini Donuts all weekend with any purchase. But you need a coupon.
7. And the Salvation Army is holding free donut events all over the country. Just contact your nearest location for more details.